DreamLight Constellation LightWave 3D Network Render Controller
Cross-platform for Both Mac OS X & Windows!
Drag-and-drop-dead-easy™ network rendering for LightWave 3D ScreamerNet
DreamLight Constellation 2.0 Pre-release Sale!
For a limited time only, any new purchases of DreamLight Constellation version 1 licenses will automatically be eligible for a free upgrade to version 2.0 when released. Version 2.0 is currently in beta testing and will be released shortly. All pre-release sales lock in the current prices and allow you to purchase version 2.0 licenses at the current version 1.0 prices. This pre-release offer is valid until the official 2.0 release at which time the license prices will be increasing. Final 2.0 license pricing has not yet been determined.
DreamLight® Constellation™ is a network render controller for LightWave 3D’s network rendering system – ScreamerNet. LightWave 3D Layout includes a basic built-in Render-Q and basic Network Render panel but using them ties up LightWave Layout. Using DreamLight Constellation to manage your background and network ScreamerNet rendering instead frees LightWave 3D so that you may continue working in Layout while rendering. DreamLight Constellation also includes many features beyond what’s available in LightWave’s built-in Network Render controller or Render-Q, including the ability to remap file paths for local/remote and Mac/Win render nodes. (Render nodes are instances of LWSN, normally one per computer.) The dynamic drag-and-drop scene render queue may be reordered and scenes may be added or removed at any time while the network continues to render. Scene settings may also be overridden when scenes are added to the Scene Queue.
DreamLight Constellation may be used as a replacement for LightWave Layout’s built-in Network Render Panel or Render-Q. It may also be used as a replacement for discontinued third party Mac OS X network render controllers such as Jonathan Baker’s ScreamerNet Controller for Mac OS X and Bruce Rayne’s RenderFarm Commander as well as other third-party network render controllers on both Mac OS X and Windows.
The DreamLight Constellation download bundle includes DLI_SNUB-Launcher for a complete LightWave 3D network rendering solution. Licenses are available for both standalone DreamLight Constellation or bundled with the companion DLI_SNUB-Launcher.Download the FREE LITE version of DreamLight Constellation bundled with DLI_SNUB-Launcher today!
NewTek based the Mac section of the Distributed Rendering chapter in the LightWave 3D 2015 manual on our Mastering LightWave 3D ScreamerNet LWSN white paper.
From the LightWave 3D 2015 User Manual:
The explanation in these docs is mainly written by Mike Scaramozzino from DreamLight Interactive and are published here with his kind permission. Mike has spent many years rendering using Screamernet and has created a tool to make it all much easier with no use of Terminal required. Visit his site at dreamlight.com and check out the DLI_SNUB-Launcher
DreamLight Constellation – Features & Benefits
- Render in the background while still working in LightWave on one computer or a network
- Use extra Macs or Windows PCs to render while you continue working in LightWave
- Drag & Drop scenes onto the icon or scene queue to add them to the render queue
- Drag & Drop reordering of the scene queue and adding removing scenes
- Scene setting overrides for output path, image format and render range when adding scenes
- Custom naming of render nodes (LWSN instances) for easier network organization
- Master and individual enable/disable buttons for all nodes and scenes
- Auto-highlighting Red/Green file path fields for easy at-a-glance configuration verification
- On-the-fly content folder verification and changing on scene loading
- Cross-platform drag-and-drop-dead-easy lwsn for both Mac OS X and Windows!
- Compatible with LightWave ScreamerNet UB 10 – 2015+
- Compatible with Mac OS X 10.6.8 – 10.10+, Snow Leopard to Yosemite & beyond
- Compatible with Windows 7 and beyond
- Compatible with DLI_SNUB-Launcher with bundles available
- Detailed pop up tool tips for all settings and controls
- Full replacement for the built-in LightWave 3D Network Render Panel
- Help menu links to specific pages of Mastering LightWave ScreamerNet white paper
- Free Lite Version for 1 Node (LWSN instance) without saving custom settings between launches
- Registration purchase enables more nodes & saving custom settings between launches
- One download for all versions with simple serial number license upgrades available
- High end professionally designed LW3D benchmark scene, DLI_SuperBalls, included
DreamLight Constellation Customer Testimonial
DreamLight Constellation is a really fantastic Lightwave Screamernet controller. It’s also really great to have one that works so well on Mac OS X. It’s fast and very easy to set up, and – most crucially – seems very reliable, even over my less-than-perfect office ethernet connections. I can’t recommend it highly enough. It’s very reasonably priced too, so you have no excuse now not to set up your own mini (or not so mini!) render farm.
DreamLight Constellation – Registration & Ordering
FREE Lite 1-Node License
- 1 Node Limit
- Custom Settings Saving Disabled
- Use with FREE Lite version of DLI_SNUB-Launcher
The FREE lite license version of DreamLight Constellation is fully functional, with the following limitations. All custom settings may be used, but settings are not saved between launches. It is also limited to 1 ScreamerNet LWSN instance (render node).
STD 5-Node License – $49.95
- 5 Node Limit
- ALL Settings Saving Enabled
- Add $20 to bundle STD DLI_SNUB-Launcher
The standard (STD) registered license for DreamLight Constellation enables fully functional saving of all custom settings between launches. The only limitation of the standard license is that it is limited to 5 ScreamerNet LWSN instances (render nodes) at a single site.
PRO 10-Node License – $99.95
- 10 Node Limit
- ALL Settings Saving Enabled
- Add $45 to bundle PRO DLI_SNUB-Launcher
The professional (PRO) registered license for DreamLight Constellation enables fully functional saving of all custom settings between launches. The only limitation of the professional license is that it is limited to 10 ScreamerNet LWSN instances (render nodes) at a single site site.
ENT Unlimited License – $199.95
- Unlimited Nodes
- ALL Settings Saving Enabled
- Add $70 to bundle ENT DLI_SNUB-Launcher
The enterprise (ENT) registered license of DreamLight Constellation enables fully functional saving of all custom settings between launches and may also be used to manage a virtually unlimited number of ScreamerNet LWSN instances (render nodes) for network rendering at a single site. It’s technically limited to a max number of 99999999 nodes, which enables as many nodes as possible up to any limit of LightWave/LWSN itself.
Registered License Ordering
Before ordering a registered license, please first download, install and test DreamLight Constellation to verify that it works as desired for your particular installation. The FREE Lite version downloaded is fully functional other than the number of nodes is limited to 1 and saving custom settings between launches is disabled. Even though the FREE Lite version is limited to one node at a time you may test it with all three types of nodes, local, remote and cross-platform, individually one at a time. Once you verify that it works as desired for your installation then feel free to order a registered license and a registration serial number will be emailed to you that you may copy/paste into the registration panel to unlock the purchased level of additional nodes and saving custom settings.
DreamLight Constellation ONLY
DreamLight Constellation & DLI_SNUB-Launcher
NOTE: Please be sure to include your correct e-mail address when you place your order. We will e-mail you the registered user name and serial number that you will need to enter in the registration panel. Orders are processed manually, typically within 1-2 business days, Monday-Friday. If you do not receive a registration e-mail within a few days please check your spam filters. Please download and test software BEFORE ordering a registered license. As this is a software license serial number there are NO REFUNDS. ALL SALES ARE FINAL. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
DreamLight Constellation Manual
Download & Installation
- Download DreamLight Constellation (download includes DLI_SNUB-Launcher) by right clicking on the link below and selecting Download Linked File from the pop-up menu.
(for Mac OS X + Windows – LightWave 3D 2015+)
Includes DLI_SNUB-Launcher & DLI_SuperBalls Benchmark Scene
[NOTE: In DreamLight Constellation 1.1.3 there’s currently a 30 second delay between all LWSN commands when any Windows nodes are detected to compensate for a problem where LWSN reads duplicate commands from the SMB networking cache. If a Windows node gets stuck just reinitialize it and it should resync. This delay is removed in version 2.0 which is currently in beta testing for an impending release. All version 1 registered users are eligible to participate in the beta and new purchases receive a free upgrade to version 2.0 when rleased.]
- After downloading the DreamLight Constellation.zip file, unzip the file by double-clicking it on Mac OS X or by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract All…
- Drag the DreamLight Constellation application file (& DLI_SNUB-Launcher if desired) from the unzipped folder to your LightWave 3D applications folder where Layout and Modeler are found:
/Applications/NewTek/LightWave3D_2015.2/on Mac OS X or
C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015.2on Windows. Enter an administrator’s username and password if prompted. You may then create an alias/shortcut to place on your desktop if desired. While DreamLight Constellation & DLI_SNUB-Launcher can actually be run from anywhere, they will automatically locate the default settings from Layout’s config file more easily when run from the LightWave3D folder.
If you ever wish to uninstall the apps, simply drag the DreamLight Constellation and/or DLI_SNUB-Launcher application file(s) to the trash.
Now that it’s installed proceed to the Quick Start Tutorials to learn how to use them to render.
For additional information about DLI_SNUB-Launcher please see the DLI_SNUB-Launcher manual.
Please report any issues, problems or bugs through our Contact Form. Thank you!
DreamLight Constellation Version History
Version 1.1.3 Cross-platform Bug Fix – 10/11/15
- Fixed a bug where the OK button would fail to dismiss the Scene Settings panel on Windows. This was caused by the Content Folder and Remap Fields being set to blanks if LightWave 3D had never been run on that Windows PC so there was no existing config file when Constellation was run. This failed to set the default Content Folder and Remap Fields and confused Constellation when it attempted to create the hidden temp scene files with remapped file paths.
- Added new error warning the first time a cross-platform render node is detected if the Remap Folder or Remap to Cross-platform Path setting is disabled and warns the user to set those settings.
Version 1.1.2 Minor Bug Fix – 10/02/15
- Fixed a bug where the remote or cross-platform remapped path could be used to load a scene when the local path should have been used instead. If the Remap Folder was disabled after setting a Remap to Remote Path or a Remap to Cross-platform Path had been enabled Constellation would continue to use the remapped paths. Fixed.
- Updated all pages of DreamLight Constellation, DLI_SNUB-Launcher and Mastering LightWave 3D ScreamerNet LWSN white paper to reflect adjustments to FREE Lite node limit change to 1 node. Also updated all pages for SEO.
Version 1.1.1 Menu & Tooltip Fix – 09/30/15
- Fixed bug where disabled menus were not re-enabled.
- Fixed preferences field tab order.
- Updated tooltips to reflect registration level changes & new preferences settings.
Version 1.1.0 Improved Folder Remapping Feature – 09/29/15
- Added new Preferences setting for Remap Folder to separate the Content Folder from the Folder Remapping features. So now you can remap the Content Folder if desired by using the same path or use a separate folder path for remapping. This enables use of multiple Content Folders used within a common mount point.
- Added 3D animated Constellation icon/logo to indicate Node Queue scanning/processing.
- Updated About Box information and links. Fixed a bug that prevented links from working.
- Added support to cross-platform Windows file paths to handle network paths starting with “\\”
Version 1.0.2 Fixes & Mastering LightWave 3D ScreamerNet LWSN – 09/24/15
- Added feature to store a Content Folder with each loaded scene enabling auto Content Folder switching when scenes are sent for rendering.
- Updated Help Menu items for Mastering LightWave 3D ScreamerNet LWSN white paper update.
- Disabled left/right arrows to prevent moving to other cards.
- Fixed bug that prevented drag-and-dropping scenes on app icon as a droplet.
- Fixed bug with small empty tooltips on some text labels.
- Added ability to read default Command Folder from LightWave Config file.
- Fixed bug where temp scene indexes were failing to increment.
- Fixed bug where Windows temp scenes were not hidden.
Version 18.104.22.168 Windows Networking Fixes – 09/05/15
- Fixed bug where Windows path remapping setting was not reloaded in preferences panel.
- Changed slashes to backslashes for paths on Windows. Slashes worked in LWSN on Win but could be confusing for the user, so changed to backslashes to avoid any user confusion.
- Added 30 second heartbeat delay on Windows or when activating Windows remapping on Mac as a workaround for a Mac to Windows networking issue where LWSN reads old commands out of the SMB network cache rather than reading the actual commands written in the job file by Constellation.
- Further Windows SMB networking optimization will be added in future builds.
Version 22.214.171.124 Default Config Mac Fix – 08/28/15
- Quick fix for Mac version not finding LightWave config file when run in LightWave folder.
Version 126.96.36.199 – Initial Release – 08/25/15
- Posted initial version release online as open beta.
DreamLight Constellation Troubleshooting
Always verify that you have the latest build of DreamLight Constellation and/or DLI_SNUB-Launcher based on the version numbers. Download and install the latest version if you’re running an older version and retest any issues with the latest version. We often fix any bugs we find or that are reported by users and post new builds with fixes as soon as possible. You may also review the Version History to see if a fix for any issue you may have encountered is reported as fixed.
If DreamLight Constellation appears to be stalling in various places constantly and seemingly randomly, verify that you are not accidentally running two instances of it on the same computer. This is more easily accidentally done on Windows where double-clicking on the icon can launch additional instances of the program rather than just bringing the already running instance forward. It can also happen on Mac OS X if you have multiple versions installed and accidentally launch a different version while one is already running. If more than one instance is running at once they will both be attempting to communicate with the LWSN render nodes and will confuse each other. So verify that only one instance is running at a time if you experience constant stalling.
When using Mac to Windows SMB filesharing the operating systems use file caching that sometimes interferes with LWSN reading commands from the job files. Sometimes Windows nodes will read old commands out of the SMB network cache rather than the actual commands that are written in the job files. When this happens LWSN will repeat commands or report that it is ignoring commands and get stuck. If that happens just reinitialize the node and it will resync. To minimize this issue we’ve added a 30 second delay between reading commands from the job files on Windows and/or when activating Windows path remapping on the Mac. Further optimizations will be made in future builds.
If the Remote Remap path does not work when running Constellation on Windows simply mount the content folder on the host using the same network path as you do on the remote nodes. Set Constellation to use that network path for everything instead of the local path. Then turn off the Remote Remap settings and turn off the Remote checkmark for all nodes. Then Constellation and all nodes, local and remote, will all use the same network path and remote remapping is no longer necessary. We are aware of the issue and will fix it in the next update.
If pressing the OK Button when adding scenes does not work then go to the Preferences window and enter any folder into the Remap Folder field and then turn it off. There’s currently a minor bug where if this field is blank it can prevent the scene panel from closing, even if it is not being used. It’s inadvertently being checked even though it’s off and shouldn’t be. This will be fixed in the next update.
LightWave 3D ScreamerNet requires content to be in a properly structured Content Folder according to very specific rules. If you are having problems getting your own scenes to render across the network please verify that you have a properly structured Content Folder.
If running into trouble using DreamLight Constellation with your own content, please try using the included DLI_SuperBalls content with the quick-start tutorials to eliminate any possible custom content issues.
All settings are saved in the DreamLight Constellation preferences file found in the following locations:
Mac OS X:
If you’ve verified that your configs and scenes are set up correctly, and you’re still having problems with DreamLight Constellation, the next thing to try is to delete the DreamLight Constellation preferences file to verify it hasn’t become corrupted. Then launch and set up all your DreamLight Constellation settings again.
We will fix any bugs that are found and fixable within DreamLight Constellation and/or DLI_SNUB-Launcher in subsequent updates if possible, but are unable to fix any bugs in LightWave 3D ScreamerNet LWSN itself. If you think you’ve found a bug in DreamLight Constellation and/or DLI_SNUB-Launcher please try to render the scene directly in LightWave 3D ScreamerNet LWSN alone using LightWave’s built-in network render panel. That’s the best way to rule out any LightWave 3D ScreamerNet LWSN bugs.
Please report any issues or problems through our Contact Form. While we can’t troubleshoot your custom setup, we can often point you in the right direction and we respond to email support inquiries for registered users as soon as possible. We do not have telephone tech support, so no phone calls please.
DreamLight Constellation License
TM & (C) Copyright 1987-2017 DreamLight Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.
DreamLight® Constellation™ is exclusively intended for use by the original purchaser and is non transferable. By downloading DreamLight Constellation you are agreeing to these restrictions.
DreamLight Constellation is a commercial utility. It is not in the public domain. It remains the property of DreamLight Incorporated. It may not be distributed, redistributed, posted for downloads, sold, used as an inducement to purchase any other items, bundled with any other items or altered in any way without the express written consent of DreamLight Incorporated.
DreamLight Constellation & DLI_SNUB-Launcher are licensed to a user for a single site (physical location). A separate STD, PRO or ENT license is required for each additional site that it may be used at. It may be used on the licensed number of computers (5 computers for STD version, 10 computers for PRO version or unlimited  computers for ENT version, up to the LightWave limit) at a single site. Use at additional sites requires additional licenses, one license per site.
DreamLight Constellation & DLI_SNUB-Launcher are provided as-is. Use at your own risk. DreamLight makes no warranties whatsoever regarding these items or their use in any way. DreamLight’s liability is limited exclusively to a refund of your DreamLight Constellation & DLI_SNUB-Launcher license fees, if any.
DreamLight and the DreamLight logo are registered trademarks of DreamLight Incorporated. DreamLight Constellation, the DreamLight Constellation icon/logo, DLI_SNUB-Launcher, the DLI_SNUB-Launcher icon/logo and drag-and-drop-dead-easy are trademarks of DreamLight Incorporated. LightWave is a registered trademark and ScreamerNet is a trademark of NewTek Inc. Windows is a trademark of Microsoft. Macintosh, XCode, Aqua, Mac OS X, Mac and the Mac logo are trademarks of Apple, Inc., registered in the U.S., and other countries.
If you find DreamLight Constellation, DLI SNUB Launcher or our Mastering LightWave 3D ScreamerNet LWSN white paper and tutorials useful, please support our continuing efforts by registering DreamLight Constellation or registering DLI_SNUB-Launcher, by purchasing our Award-winning 3D CGI Short Film – BlastOff!™ Special Edition DVD, by purchasing some of our BlastOff! Merchandise or award-winning DLI SNUB Launcher logo merchandise or by buying our book: Creating a 3D Animated CGI Short.
Thank you for your continuing support!